Planning Your Kicking Horse Rafting Trip
With a reservation made for a Kicking Horse rafting trip, the real trip planning can begin. Whether driving to the RiverBase via Golden, Radium, Lake Louise or Banff, we have all the information available so that guests are well prepared and arrive on time for their rafting departure. Check out the various details outlined below as well as our Frequently Asked Questions. If further clarification is required, simply give us a call at 1-888-647-6444.
Provided Rafting Gear
All guests are provided with top-of-the-line rafting gear so as to remain warm and comfortable on the rafts. A cozy and comfortable rafter is a happy rafter. Each piece of equipment is cleaned, dried and sterilized after each and every use.
- Wetsuits (5 mm-thick; expedition weight)
- Thick-soled wetsuit booties (no need for river shoes or sandals, or socks!)
- Neoprene gloves
- Hooded spray jackets
- Government-approved whitewater lifejackets and helmets
What To Bring From Home
While most of the gear is provided, only a few items are required from home.
- Swimsuit (to wear underneath wetsuit)
- Towel (for changing afterwards)
- Thermal layer (for extra warmth on the river … NO Cotton!)
- Warm clothes to change into after your trip
- Face covering/mask (for COVID-19 purposes)
- Small ziploc bag (to keep face-covering dry while on the river)
Top-quality rafting trips require top-quality equipment. At Wild Water Adventures we choose only the best equipment and gear for our guests. Our self-bailing rafts are on the leading technological edge of design and perform exceptionally well on tough whitewater rivers such as the Kicking Horse. Our variety of models can be modified to use either with custom-made rowing frames (in which some of the crew paddle and some simply enjoy the ride), or the entire crew can paddle under the instruction of the guide. This versatility enables us to select the most appropriate rafting style for each guest group given the different sections of river we run and constantly changing water levels. Generally, the ‘oar with paddle assist’ rig is used for half-day trips, while “all paddle” rafts are used later in the season (with favourable water levels).
Our RiverBase Daylodge – Our Operations Hub
Located on 13 wooded acres overlooking the Kicking Horse River valley, the RiverBase is both our hub of operations and gathering place for guests. All trips depart from this picturesque location. Along with heated indoor change rooms and indoor washroom facilities, guests are free to mingle on the covered deck or out in the sunshine amongst the picnic tables. The RiverBase is conveniently located on TransCanada Highway #1, halfway between the towns of Field and Golden, BC.
Driving Times To The RiverBase:
- Calgary: 2 hours 30 minutes (approximately from the west side of the city)
- Banff: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Lake Louise: 45 minutes
- Golden: 20 minutes
- Radium/Invermere: 1 hour 45 minutes (approximately, depending on traffic volume)
- Revelstoke: 2 hours (approximately). REMEMBER THE TIME CHANGE!
Directions To The RiverBase:
- Street Address: 2750 Beaverfoot Road, Golden BC
- Click here for Google Map directions
Prior to arriving at the RiverBase, guests are kindly requested to refer to Wild Water Adventures’ COVID-19 protocols.